Monday 1 April 2013

New Concept. Alternative material

Pininterest is a online platform for sharing and 'pinning' everything from art and craft to weddings and DIY techniques.
 
I came across by the following concept whilst browsing on Pinterest and i thought it related closely to my work. When i get a spare moment i enjoy felting and crafting in general (making cards and bits & bobs) This technique has really interested me and i thought it was worthy of posting about it in relation to my 5105 module.
 
The material used is loose wool fibres, and then shaped using a needle. The technique is know as 'needle felting' or just 'felting'. You will need a foam pad, some plastic eyes (sewn on style) - these can be brought online or craft shops (more popular for doll or teddy bear eyes) and some cotton piping cord or a selection of pipe cleaners.
 
What appealed to me the most about these is that they really do on first glance look real and they look great photographed. I have uploaded two rats and a pair of birds as these are the animals that i am working with in my taxidermy. During tutorials i was encouraged to use alternate materials (i have done this already through my hybrids cape) however if i get chance i would love to have a go at this - mine will not be to this standard as i tend to do 2D felting.

SOURCE

Created by Daria Lvovsky