Friday 19 April 2013

Academy Day 3

Today I went into my local Academy again and they have offered me to attend for some more weeks after the deadline next week so I gain more experience in preparation for my PGCE application. Which is fantastic news!!
 
Because it was the day after parents evening for most of the teachers they didn't get chance to read through my new personal statement - but they said that they will have a look through it in the next coming weeks. I have also asked if I can bring in my portfolio to show to the current year 12's so they can gain an insight into their next task should they want to apply for university.
 
As ever I really enjoyed the day and it allowed me to gain more experience and knowledge into the profession. I was asked to help in a year 9 art class (which is an option group) and the teacher allowed them quite a substantial amount of freedom in their outcomes. The plan was that the teacher showed them some artists and then each week for homework they could research there favourite artists to influence them. They can create anything, 2D or 3D. Some students embraced this concept however others did not - some needed more encouragement more than others which is where I hopefully helped with.
 
I loved encouraging the handful of students to flourish and I hope that they found it beneficial to hear other ideas. Some were slightly overwhelmed as secondary school art is completely different from degree art! It was lovely to hear them explain their ideas and hear the enthusiasm in their voice once they were confident.
 
I look forward to attending the Academy in the forth coming weeks. I still really feel like I want to do this as a career and doing this placement as continued the flame burning.