Saturday 13 April 2013

Metropolis

On Tuesday when I went to town to photograph by rat  hybrid for my negotiated study I popped into the BMAG and went to the Metropolis Exhibition.
Overall I really enjoyed the exhibition and I was really inspired by the way the artists had displayed their work.

14. Ola Kolehmainen - Shadows of Church (2006) was one of my favourite pieces because I love how at first glance its Selfridges and then on closer inspection it has a reflection of the church. The way the artist has printed this piece on glass and not an opaque material really emphasises that reflective aspect really well. It was the first thing that people see as they make their way through the gallery and I thought that this piece sums the whole exhibition up.

16. Beat Streuli - Pallasades (2001) was my second favourite because it consisted of two televisions on the wall with a two videos continuously playing of people walking down the Pallasades ramp minding their own business. The shots are of just the people walking and so you cannot see the pavement or surrounding shops. The people are so unaware and it is so fascinating to see the different types of people. It was shot with a long, special lens. It would be interesting too see if the people walking down the ramp would be different today. The fashion, hairstyles, culture aspects etc would be really interesting.