Thursday 9 February 2012

Book Designs

Before making my book i looked at different styles and variations of covers and designs.

Here are just three of the many i took inspiration from...

This one has a very homely feel - i love the gingham style background and the banner title style. I did contemplate whether to use photographs of utensils however they didn't work and the photo was too dark and it wouldn't have look professional.


I love this english heretige style - with the typical english bunting and the different colour and style of the title. This is just a baking book and if i had more time i would have love to have done a starter, main, dessert and cocktails recipe books as a collection - rather than doing them all in the one book.


 I would have loved to have enough time to handmake the pages as i am a keen crafter myself in my spare time, which is very far and few between! I love the ribbon and the sewn text box on the bottom left. this style wouldnt have fit in with my scenario - the world is starving and people are recording there recipes with pretty little bows and buttons. Dont think so!


I love the simplicity of this cookery book. This style would have been perfect for my cover as the theme is "Would you use a knife and fork" i like the 'less is more' style and but i think the title could have been larger and possibly in a bolder typeface?


I like the coloured simplicity of this cover. The title is very large and i would have liked to see the utensils go all the way up the page rather than just being under the title.


If i had more time i would have done more pages, more recipes and possibly contemplate development of these designs.....

Have a collection of utensils and cutlery with a title at the left corner...

Simple design of title in the middle, spoon or other item underneath and possibly on top?
pale pastal colours with white items.


Here i tried some watercolour kitchen items. I really like this style - its very homely and sweet. The cover the book would be very colourful and delicate. the book would be visually exciting and would possibly invite buyers.


Im not sure why blogspot are rotating all my portrait images! this design has some really nice potential. i like the scalloped edge and the way the title is in the middle. The different utensils in a tessellated pattern would be either water colour or maybe even photography. maybe bright vibrant colours - maybe with a pop art feel to it.


My Final book which is shown below is using a collage style and a ripped effect - i was going along the lines of using other recipe books and magazines to adapt to the new recipes - which is fitting with my scenario.









My book has a hard cover and a back - it also has ...

contents page
recipes
glossary
knife guide
handmade images/illustrations using watercolours.