Thursday 15 November 2012

Evaluation

I am in the position i am now with this project by beginning to browse my book collection with no real theme in mind. My art books give me a sense of inspiration and help me reference artists and practises.
As i have previously mentioned "Art is never finished - only abandoned" ~ Da Vinci 1. So with this is mind i generally feel like i could take this project further. The way i have interpreted this project is vast perspective on it. In a nutshell i wanted to experiment with the fact that zoos are not suitable for animals; the bear ravine was not suitable for bears and so i wanted to take something out of our habitat and make it out of something that's not suitable for us.
I have quite a few books on paper engineering and card board sculptures along with other craft books. I only got to the stage where i am now by learning by the mistakes and failures i encountered at the start of the project.
    When people watch my video i do not want them to immediately know what its about and even to the point where i dont want them to make the association to the zoo. To many it may just seem a video of different angles of cardboard but it is much more than that.
    I am fascinated with paper and cardboard and i really want this to be my focus of my practise. Cardboard is so beautiful when you appreciate the structure of it - which again links back to the bear ravine and other tecton structures.
    In terms of a practical evaluation on the video itself i found it quite difficult to start of with getting my head around the whole premiere pro thing. Eventually as i went on i found myself exploring all that premiere pro has to offer. I did over 50 shots of my chair and only used 14 - and even then some are duplicated. I used effects like cross dissolve, film dissolve, audio dissolve and dip to white. I also edited the music so i used the beginning and then the end of the track. I reversed a couple of the shots so that they went backwards. I then changed the speed in general so that it went slower and quicker in parts. I tried as much as i could to match the video speed and different shots to match the music. Which brings me onto the music. Originally the track was a piano piece and then from the tutorial i was advised to change it to give it a bit of 'je ne sais quoi'. I went for a dubstep remix, as i dont listen to this genre of music i really love it along with my video and i feel that it compliments it as the music is rough like the cardboard yet subtle like the structure.
I am quite pleased with the outcome of my video and i feel like i have used my new skills well.